HomeHistoryArmories to National Register of Historic PlacesClover Armory Complex

Clover Armory Complex

Motor Vehicle Storage Building

Built circa 1950, strong room and vault added

Contractor: Randall and Sons (Rock Hill)

Architect: Heyward S. Singley.1

Armory Building:

Architect: Gilchrist and Cook
Contractor: Young Construction Co. (Rock Hill)
Cost: $134,731 (original bid amount)
Completition Date: July 5, 1961
Dedicated: September 10, 1961
Notes:

Described as One-Unit Armory with building size of 114 X 170 feet on four acres of land.2

When the Clover SCARNG unit was activated in July 1949 as Company G, 2nd Battalion, 218th Infantry Regiment, with battalion headquarters at Rock Hill, it consisted of just two officers and 45 enlisted men who met for a year in an upstairs office at the Clover City Hall. The first pay was delivered in silver dollars. One year after their organization, however, the Clover troops were fortunate to move into a motor vehicle storage building located just a few blocks from downtown. This building was designed by architect Heyward S. Singley, and served as a temporary armory until the construction of the 1961 armory.3

Nine years later, as part of its Pentomic Concept reorganization, SCARNG reassigned the Clover unit as Troop C, 2nd Battalion, 263rd Armor, with its headquarters still in Rock Hill, although now its troop strength was much larger: four officers and 106 enlisted men. Two years later, in 1961, Clover’s Guard forces saw the construction of a new armory building almost immediately adjacent to the existing MVSB. Shortly thereafter, in April 1963, SCARNG again reorganized the unit, this time as Company C, 2nd Battalion, 263rd Armor, and attached it to the 30th “Old Hickory” Infantry Division out of North Carolina. This unit continued its affiliation with the Clover site until sometime after 1985, when Company A of the 178th Engineer’s Battalion was reassigned to the location. Beginning in 2002, the Clover armory stood vacant until 2007, when Company A of the 178th Engineer’s Battalion returned. SCARNG has previously rented out the 1961 armory building for YMCA summer day camp, wedding receptions, and other parties.4 No original plans for either the MVSB or the armory building have been located.

As of the 2010 site visit, the Clover facility consisted of three buildings on approximately two acres of land located just to the southeast of Clover’s town center, including an equipment storage building, the 1950 MVSB, and the 1961 armory building.

Photo Gallery


  1. While noted architect Heyward S. Singley did not specifically claim credit for having designed this MVSB in 1950, he is known to have designed a total of twenty MVSBs in 1948 and 1949 for locations throughout the state, which strongly suggests that he may have played a role in designing this one, although no direct evidence has yet been found to demonstrate this. See Heyward S. Singley to Donald Russell, 1954.

  2. Frank D. Pinckney to Chief, National Guard Bureau, June 17, 1960, Folder 633, South Carolina, Box 3967, Army-NGB Decimal File, 1960, RG 168, NARA II; Armory Dedication Fact Sheet, July 24, 1961, Folder 633, South Carolina, Box 4141, Army-NGB Decimal File, 1961, RG 168, NARA II.

  3. Rhodes, 361; Kitchens, et al, 28; and Sergeant First Class Mike Thompson, personal conversation, October 12, 2010. Kitchens, et al, indicates a construction date of 1949 for the MVSB, but this conflicts with Rhodes.

  4. Rhodes, 361; Kitchens, et al, 28; and Sergeant First Class Mike Thompson, personal conversation, October 12, 2010. Kitchens, et al, reports a construction date of 1960 for the armory building, but this conflicts with Rhodes’s report of 1961. Anderson (19-20) confirms the 1950/1961 dates.