He is responsible for mission readiness, operations and the coordination of more than 1,400 South Carolina Air National Guard members and a $103 million operating budget in support of federal and state missions. He directs the planning, programming, and execution of Air personnel and equipment assigned to the state and assists The Adjutant General in domestic operations response.
General Armstrong is a graduate of the University of Central Oklahoma and earned his commission through Officer Training School. He is a command pilot with more than 4,500 hours logged during assignments with Air Education and Training Command, Pacific Air Forces, Air Combat Command and the Air National Guard, including 581
combat sorties during Operations Southern Watch, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. In his civilian capacity, he is a pilot with a major airline. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Director of Operations,Joint Force Headquarters, SCANG.
1. May 1989 – May 1990, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. September 1990 – May 1991, Student, F-16 Flying Training Unit, MacDill AFB, Fla.
3. May 1991 – March 1994, F-16C Squadron Programmer, Moody AFB, Ga.
4. March 1994 – March 1995, F-16C Instructor Pilot, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
5. March 1995 – June 1998, Chief of Squadron Weapons, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. June 1998 – September 2003, Weapons Officer, McEntireJoint National Guard Base, S.C.
7. September 2003 – April 2010, Program Manager, McEntire JNGB, S.C.
8. April 2010 – May 2011, Operations Officer, McEntire JNGB, S.C.
9. May 2011 – June 2013, Commander, 157th Fighter Squadron,McEntire JNGB, S.C.
10. June 2013 – October 2014, Vice Commander, 169th Fighter Wing, McEntireJNGB, S.C.
11. November 2014 – April 2015, Retired
12. April 2015 – September 2018, Director, A3/A5/A7, Joint Force Headquarters –South Carolina, McEntire JNGB, S.C.
13. September 2018 – Present, Chief of Staff, JFHQ-SC, Columbia, S.C.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Brigadier General Sept. 4, 2018
(Current as of 7/19/2019)