Jackson and Miller

Located in Columbia, South Carolina, the firm of Jackson and Miller was organized in 1957 by Robert Nyle Jackson, Jr., and his partner C. (Clarence) William Miller, Jr. Little is known about Miller, who is not listed in the AIA directories of the period and does not appear to have been an influential architect in the state. Jackson, however, was born on August 10, 1921, and was a 1942 graduate of Clemson College. After completing his education and serving in the Air Force in World War II, he worked at various times as a draftsman for John Monroe Lambert, Jr., Lafaye, Fair, and Lafaye, and Heyward S. Singley and Associates, and he returned to Air Force service during the Korean War. Jackson died in March 1983.

In addition to the armory at Rock Hill (1965), Jackson and Miller were the architects of a number of buildings in South Carolina, including the Maxwell Furniture Company building in Columbia, the SC Employment Security Commission building in Newberry, the South Carolina Baptist Hospital in Columbia, St. Andrew’s Junior High School in Columbia, the Clinton Elementary School in Clinton, and the Security Federal Savings and Loan building in Columbia. In 1975, the firm became known as Jackson, Miller, Wilds, and Associates, and they changed their name again in 1981 to Jackson, Miller, Brandt, Wilds, and Associates, Inc. The firm was dissolved in 1988.