As a community based organization, the South Carolina National Guard takes pride in being requested to participate in local events throughout our state. If you are hosting a public event and are looking to have the SC National Guard participate, we can provide support in the form of a ground based vehicle static display, parade participation, or performances by the 246th Army Band. Please refer back to the “Basic Support Guidelines” on the Community Relations Home Page. All requests are subject to the availability of our units and their current schedules. Even if we have identified support for your event, there is a chance they will have to back out, with little notice, due to events or requirements that may arise. If a substitute can attend in their place, we will notify the requestor of the change.
To begin processing your request, we need a Community Relations Event Worksheet (CREW) and a DD 2536 filled out and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to training regulations and schedules of our assets and units, requests must be submitted 90 days prior to the event. If your request occurs within less than 90 days, you must submit an Exception to Policy form signed by the requestor to acknowledge that the time constraints will lessen the likelihood of support ability from our organization.
Some things to keep in mind
- Vehicle static displays we send to events will typically have two service members with them that are members of the crew that utilizes that vehicle. These soldiers are not necessarily versed in informing people of all the career options or educational benefits of the SC National Guard.
- If you are looking for service members who can speak on behalf of all of the benefits and opportunities the SC National Guard has please reach out to our recruiters at https://www.scguard.ng.mil/Join-the-Guard/ , where you can find the contact information for the local recruiting offices. A vehicle static display can still be in attendance with our recruiters.
- Due to the majority of our force being a ‘part-time force” we have to staff events with the availability of our service members. Our service members still do have training and administrative requirements that need to be met on an annual basis. Even if a unit is local to you and is fully staffed, they may not have the ability to support an event due to requirements the service members must complete.
- Requests are taken on a first come, first serve basis. Regardless of who is requesting support.
- The 246th Army Band cannot be used to merely lessen the cost of hosting an event.
- Precedence for supporting holiday events/parades falls to the 5 major patriotic holidays listed on the “Basic Support Guidelines”
- After being vetted, an event may warrant a hold harmless be sent to the requestor. If not filled out, we cannot send support to the event.
- Attendees will not be permitted to climb on, ride in, or operate any of our equipment, nor can we haul things with our vehicles for the event. These are displays only.